Hello School of Social Work Students
We are excited that you will be a WSU Warrior this fall within the School of Social Work. As we anticipate the beginning of the fall semester, the SSW has listened to President Wilson’s directives in keeping the campus safe. To ensure the ongoing safety of our Warrior community, our Social Work building will remain closed with faculty and staff continuing to work from home whenever possible. However, we are planning for the restart of limited on-campus operations in the fall and are working to ensure that the needs of our students, faculty and staff are supported when the need to visit campus arises. If you need to meet with faculty, staff or advisors – they will be available via telephone or Zoom. If you need a face-to-face meeting please work with that faculty or staff person to make necessary arrangements.
Although we are excited about the completion of our building renovation and student spaces within the SSW, the use of our building during this time comes with new important safety measures intended to minimize risk for the spread of COVID-19 and ensure the health and wellness of our Social Work family. Our building will remain closed and will be available to visitors on an as-needed appointment-only basis. We have implemented the following WSU return to campus guidelines:
- No visitors: Non-essential visitors are not permitted on campus. Visitors to the School of Social Work will be accepted on an individual appointment basis only. If you are looking to meet with an advisor, visit our Student Services page for links to schedule a virtual appointment or contact email@example.com or 313-577-4464 for additional information. If you need to meet with faculty, contact them directly to coordinate.
- Wear a face-covering: Face coverings must be properly secured and worn over your mouth and nose at all times while on campus and in the SSW building. Students will receive a Warrior swag bag (distribution details to come) that includes a Wayne State face covering, a great way to show your Warrior pride while keeping safe, or you may bring your own.
- Maintain social distance: Keep at least six feet of physical distance with others while on campus. Our conference rooms and the SSW technology lab will be off-limits and all meetings should continue to be conducted virtually, even if all attendees are on campus.
- Hand-washing: Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds several times throughout the day.
- Refrain from sharing items and using common areas: Common areas — including our student lounge and conference rooms — will be off-limits for the foreseeable future. Refrain from sharing textbooks, papers, pens, study materials, or unpackaged food or beverages with fellow students.
- Keep campus clean: The Facilities team has installed hand-sanitizer dispensers throughout campus and custodial crews will regularly disinfect and clean the School of Social Work building and common surfaces. Please help us in this process by cleaning up after yourself and placing all trash in the proper receptacles.
- Classroom safety: Furniture in classrooms has been arranged to facilitate social distancing; please do not re-arrange the furniture. Comply with all posted guidelines in campus buildings, classrooms, laboratories and common areas.
If the instance arises where you need to return to the SSW building, all students must complete the following before heading in:
- Schedule an appointment: Contact the individual in the SSW you need to meet with directly or contact our Office of Admissions and Student Services as firstname.lastname@example.org or 313-577-4409 for assistance.
- Take the Warrior Safe training: Take the three training modules to learn more about COVID-19 and how to be Warrior Safe on campus.
- Complete the Campus Daily Screener: Beginning 48 hours before your return, complete the online screener each day before coming to campus.
- Know before you go: Before you leave, visit the Parking website to know which lots and structures are open, and the status of campus shuttles.
- Bring your OneCard: Please have your OneCard with you when you come to campus to assist with verification and building access as needed. If you need a replacement or new card, visit the OneCard website.
If you have concerns about your safety and health in the building, please be sure to report them to the SSW Office of Admissions and Student Services at email@example.com or 313-577-4409.
Additional information on Field Education will be forthcoming. Please check your email, Canvas and the SSW student website page for SSW student updates.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we all adjust to the “new normal” and work together to refine the procedures, which will ensure we remain Warrior Safe and Warrior Strong. For additional information on campus restart visit the WSU Coronavirus Student website.
Wishing continued good health to you and yours,
Sheryl Kubiak, Dean