Read this email on the Web

Office of the Provost - Wayne State University

Dear Warrior:

I hope this email finds you well. I realize that this year has been stressful for many of you, given the changes to our academic program delivery and ongoing challenges that the coronavirus pandemic is bringing to our families, friends, co-workers and fellow Warriors.

To help you complete the semester and maintain progress toward your degree, Wayne State is adding a pass/no pass grading option for undergraduate classes taken during the fall 2020 and winter 2021 semesters. There are several details to this process, so you will want to review them carefully and work with your academic advisor to determine the best decision for you to make. This process will be identical to that which we followed for winter 2020, and may be referenced at

Instructors will assign a letter grade for each course. Then, depending on the grade received, the letter grade may be translated into a pass/no pass format. Based on consultation with the schools and colleges, grades of F will automatically be translated into a grade of N, a grade that will not affect your GPA, although you will not receive credit. If you receive a D , D or a D-, you will have the opportunity to change your grade to an N. Please keep in mind that a D will earn credit but will impact the GPA negatively. There may be cases where a D , D or D- may serve you better; if you are considering this, you should consult with your advisor.

If your instructor assigns a grade of A, B or C (including C-), you will receive that letter grade; however, depending upon your academic program and goals, you may prefer a P. Again, you should consult with your academic advisor to discuss the options. If you and your advisor determine that a P is in your best interest, you will be able to file a request to change the letter grade to a P.

The decision to change your grade depends on many things, including your school/college policies, your current GPA and major, and your academic goals. Until the time you graduate, you can make this change at any time. You can also change your grade back to the original grade. For example, if you change your program or major, you may decide that it is better to switch from a letter grade to a pass/no pass grade, or vice versa. Once you graduate, however, your transcript cannot be changed and your grade will remain fixed. A transcript notation will indicate that the pass/no pass grades in the affected semesters resulted from the COVID-19 pandemic.

University-level rules limiting the use of P grades from fall 2020 and winter 2021 will be relaxed as well. At the discretion of the academic programs, P grades elected during these semesters will not count toward the maximum allowed. Also, P grades elected during this semester will be accepted for general education credit, but they might not count for some schools, colleges, programs or majors. Therefore, you should work with your academic advisor to make sure the P grade will satisfy your school, college or program requirements.

This new policy does not change any of your school, college or program requirements. Although individual schools, colleges or programs are permitted to make curricular changes in light of the coronavirus pandemic, they are not required to do so. In particular, many programs cannot accept grades of P or of C- due to accreditation requirements. Your advisors are learning about this new policy now, just as you are. They are working to review the policy and to understand the best approach for each program and major, and they will need some time to discuss within each school and college.

Remember, unless you plan to graduate this semester, you have a great deal of time to make the decision that is best for you. The most important decision you can make now is to commit deeply to your academic success during the remainder of this semester. We are here to help you, so please be sure to visit our Learn Anywhere website at, and stay up to date on other important details at

Be well and remain Warrior Strong.


Laurie M. Lauzon Clabo, PhD, RN, FAAN 
Interim Provost and Sr. Vice President for Academic Affairs